Friday, February 20, 2009

Honesty - always the best policy!

Tonight Heather did a posting on being honest and how she wished that more moms were honest about the trials and tribulations of raising a child. She and I have had conversations about this topic before but she really made me think tonight about a few things. As honest as we are with each other, I felt like even I had cheated her of the truth. I think, as women, we don't bring ourselves to total honesty because we think things reflect poorly on us. I mean, come on, who really wants to admit that having and raising a child "doesn't come natural". It's sort of like you see commerials on tv when a couple wakes up in the morning and they immediately kiss - get real!!! The last thing I want to do first thing in the morning is kiss someone on the mouth - stink breath! The world has a tendency to portray things differently than they really are....we try to glamorize our lives because we wouldn't dare want anyone to think we are not in total control and that we can't handle anything! I wonder if I should have told Heather more about the sleepness nights, the worrying she will do when her child is sick, the sinking in her heart the first day of kindergarten, the apprehension she will feel the first time she leaves Morgan Kate with a sitter, the many, many times she will stop and pray over Morgan Kate as she leaves the house on her first date, for her first overnight with a friend (you wish you knew the family better), and how to prepare herself for the day she will tell Morgan Kate "about the birds and bees" and Morgan Kate will look at her like she can't even believe her mom is having that conversation. The list could go on and on. I do believe I could have better prepared her for some aspects of motherhood however I have never had a premature baby so I am the one learning. So if I want to be totally honest tonight, I have to admit, Heather has taught me about motherhood. In her short time as a mother, I have observed her display an incredible amount of patience, determination, and I have watched her faith grow in leaps and bounds.....it doesn't get much better than that! One of my fondest memories of our 107 days in the NICU were watching my daughter take the hand of her daughter and pray with her each night before she left......having a completely honest conversation with God and trusting in him. So as she finds her way in being a mom and what works with her little household, may God continue to guide her - after all He is the best example!

1 comment:

amanda pyle said...

thanks for the sweet comment. you'll have to stop by & walk through the house sometime:) i love your blog.
you have such a sweet family...especially that MK:) what an angel! looking forward to reading your next post.