Sunday, November 20, 2011

Gratitude is the best attitude

I read recently where if the only prayer you said in your whole life was "thank you" it would suffice.

I have been saying "thank you" alot lately and in part it is because of a "homework" assignment our interim pastor gave us at the beginning of the month. He challenged us at the end of each day in November, to journal three things that we give thanks. He also challenged us to write a note of thanks to someone ....either on this earth now or even someone in our life that may have already passed. Seal the envelope and give it to that person at an appropriate time. If the letter is to someone that was important in your life that may no longer be with you, tuck the letter away for safe keeping.

I have each day, so far, written down the things that I give thanks. It sounds like acknowledging three things each day would be so easy but try it and I think you will see that on some days it is challenging. On some days it seems like I have struggled to give thanks for one thing much less three. I have found myself focusing on the negative of the day instead of the positive good things. However in doing this exercise I was reminded that I should not take so much for granted. I should give thanks each day for a roof over my head, a job, a wonderful husband, beautiful children and grandchildren, amazing family and friends, and the list goes on and on. I have reminded myself that some days it things as simple as your car cranking that I should give thanks. A new light fixture in our kitchen, a nap (something I rarely do), having a printer at work that is hooked up and working. You see what I am saying. Simple things but yet things I give thanks!

Thanksgiving should not be locked into one day of the year. I want to show and give thanks each day. So as our family gathers on Thanksgiving day, we will our hearts of gratitude....we have had an incredibly emotional year for so many reasons. We have experienced miracles of all sorts....not just the birth of babies but the rebirth of hope. God has been so good! Thank you God. Thank you! I love you!

No comments: